Nephew Dave's Tuna
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working!!
Welcome to the American River Rat web site.

I'm Proud to be an American!!

OH Shit!!!!

American River Rat   |   Lanier 2019   |   Lanier 2018   |   Lanier 2017   |   Lake Lanier 2016   |   Lake Lanier 2015   |   Lake Lanier 2014   |   Lake Lanier 2013   |   Lake Lanier 2012   |   Lake Lanier 2011   |   Lake Lanier 2010   |   Lake Lanier 2009   |    Lake Lanier 2008   |   Spring 2008   |   Spring/Fall 2007   |   Salmon/Striper 2006   |   Salmon/Striper/Sturgeon 2005   |   Fishing Trip From HELL   |   Striper/Salmon  2004   |   Baja 2004   |   Nephew Dave's Tuna   |   Old Web Pages   |   Tribute to a Great Friend   |   Striper Life Cycle   |   Contact Me   |   My Favorite Links

Big Tuna Fishing
Puerto Vallarta September 11 - 16, 2003
Dave Bringuel

Dave Bringuel, my nephew left for Puerto Vallarta at 6am Sept. 11 and arrived in Mexico to hear about the terrorist activities in New York. This put a dark cloud over his trip but he was there and had to make the best of the situation.

He tried to go fishing on Wednesday but the weather didn't cooperate. He was suppose to go out about 50 miles for the BIG TUNA but after about an hour on the water, Captain Steve decided it was to rough and called it a day. Dave and his new fishing partner Dimitri, a rep for Seeker Rods, would have to postpone their quest to land one of the biggest fish in the ocean. Dave was going to try again on Friday but the boat he was scheduled on was going out into the bay for 10-30lb Tuna…… that was not the goal of this trip, so he decided to pass. Next, his flight home on Saturday was postponed and he was forced to stay one more day. This ment he had one more chance to try for the Giant Yellow Fin Tuna. On Saturday morning at 6 am Dave and Dimitri met at the dock and boarded The High Maintenance. Within a few minutes they started their 2-hour trip to the fishing grounds. Dimitri had been out for BIG Tuna a number of times and was a wealth of information. The biggest Tuna Dave had caught was in the 75 pound Blue fin and he was hopping to break 100 pound barrier. They arrived at the fishing grounds around 9am and started trolling. After about 7 hours, one of the rods finally went off. Dimitri jumped up and the deckhands scrambled to strap his belt on. Ten minutes into the fight another rod started to sing and this time it was Dave’s turn and he got strapped in for the fight of his life. Dimitri landed a beautiful 168 pound Yellow Fin about 35 minutes after his rod went off. Dave had never seen a Tuna that big let alone have one on the end of his line. Now it was Dave against the fish. The fish pulled line out and Dave tried to get it back. This happened a number of times and he was starting to get tired. Everyone was supporting him but the fish just would not give in. Dave got 50 feet of line back and the fish took out 75 more. This went on for about a half hour and Dave's arms were getting tired, he back was tightening up and his legs were beginning to shake. Never the less, he was not going to loose this battle. This would be the biggest fish he had ever caught. He had to change positions and try to get more leverage on the fish but the fish would have no part of letting up. He continued to fight and fight. Now Dave was almost an hour into the fight and he was thirsty, hot and getting really tired. The crew got him water to drink and poured water over this body to try to keep him cool but nothing could revive the energy he had already lost. It was getting to the point that the fish seemed to be winning. The fish took another run and Dave just leaned back and watched the line peel from the reel. It appeared as though there was no stopping this one. His body was quivering and he had lost almost all of his strength. That was about the time when the tide started to turn. Dave started to gain ground and as the fish got closer, Dave got stronger. Finally after about 1 hour and 40 minutes of ecstasy and agony, all three people in the crew grabbed gaffs. As the fish came up to the side of the boat, in what appeared to be one motion all three gaffs were set deep into the flesh of the fish. Now the question was what to do. The three of them could not lift the fish into the boat. Dave and Dimitri lent a hand and with all five on the end of the three gaffs, they finally got the fish over the rail and onto the deck. As Dave stood watching in complete exhaustion, the crew prepared for the long ride back to the dock. At that point there was nothing to do but wait until they could get to a scale to determine the weight of the fish. It was bigger that the first fish and they estimated it would go close to 300 pounds. By far the biggest fish Dave had ever caught and by far the hardest fight he had ever been in. In discussions on the way back to the dock, the crew told Dave that the fish would loose about 5%-10% of its weight before they could weigh it. At that point, Dave realized he was on his way to the dock with the best fish story of his life and it was not about the one that got away. After docking and taking the fish to the scales, Dave found out how much this fish really weighed. Even after the weight loss, it was still 278 pounds.

Take a look for yourself. Great Job Dave and Dimitri !!!!!!!!